One of my favorite developments with the advent of the internet age has been the capability to get to know other tabletop-sports enthusiasts, and to follow along as they report the results of their ongoing projects.
Of course, some replay projects are more engaging than others. I have found that there are 5 elements to a creating an engaging and successful replay thread on a forum or blog:
- Consistent frequency of posts
- Well-written recaps including intelligent game analysis
- Clean visual presentation
- The author’s genuine enthusiasm for the project
- An element of the unknown in the project itself
A replay doesn’t have to succeed at every level of these 5 elements to be interesting and worth following, but the best replays do.
The following 10 replays were my favorite of 2012. The only caveat I have to make here, is that all of these replays were started in 2012. There were other replays I followed and probably would have included on this list had they not begun in 2011 or earlier. Some of these projects aren’t finished yet, but I’ve enjoyed them just the same.
On to the list!
- 10 1956 Abridged (by Ringo [JRing75]; Replay Baseball)
- 9 1982 Miami Dolphins Replay (by Fishfan77; Strat-O-Matic Football)
- 8 1998 NFL Replay (by Oguard62; APBA Football)
- 7 Thirty-Two Team Best of Blackball Tournament (by TerryB; Strat-O-Matic Baseball)
- 6 my 1992-93 San Jose Sharks Replay (byq77m; homemade Hockey Game based on He Shoots, He Scores!)
- 5 1948 – The Full Season (by gwloar; Strat-O-Matic Baseball)
- 4 1967 American League Replay (by Marvelous Marv; Strat-O-Matic Baseball)
- 3 1965 NFL/AFL Replay (by mungers; Strat-O-Matic Football)
- 2 Love, Life, and APBA – 1981 (by Kenneth Heard; APBA Baseball)
- 1 Mysteryball ’58 (by Jeff Polman; Strat-O-Matic Baseball)
What replays did you follow with rapt attention this year?